Devbaug Beach :
A confluence of the Karli River flowing into the Arabian Sea. This point marks the southern most tip of the Malvan taluka. The beach lures to the tourists by its stunning white sand and beautiful blue water lagoon, thus an idealist spot for swimming , sunbathing and pick nicking. Flock of local sea birds add to the beauty of serene surroundings by playing with the sea waters. A hill in the back drop offers panoramic view of Arabian sea and light house situated on the rocky island. Sunset is the peak time to watch this natures expression. Mingles secretly with sea waters from behind Devbaug’s famous Mobar Point.Local fishermen recently started water sports near confluence. They have water scooter, jet ski, bumper ride, banana/dolphin boat ride, Kayak boating sports.
Tarkarli Beach :
A long stretch of silver sands, cool sea breeze whispering through towering Cajurina plantations on the beach, Fishermen seen launching their traditional boats and nets daily into the sea is an interesting feature to watch on this beach. MTDC has a luxury resort around the beach, inviting tourist to experience something unusual-staying. Two house boats are constructed in back water with luxurious facilities. Get thrilling Experience of Water Scooter Scuba Diving & Snorkeling. Be cautious while entering the sea for swimming.
Mobar Sangam is the “confluence” of river ‘Karli’ and Arabian sea. Sangama is the Sanskrit word for confluence. The point of confluence is a sacred place for Hindus. The local younsters from Tarkarli-Devbaugh started water sports like speed boat ride, Jet ski ride, bumper ride, dolphin ride, Kayak boating.
Bhogwe beach is located on the western shores of Sindhudurg District in Maharashtra. Endowed with foamy waves thundering onto the silvery white sand, this beach will surely free you from the shackles of stress and boredom. Village Bhogave has another attraction of the merging of the river named Karli with the sea. The beach offers a wonderful view of Karli river’s estuary, which mingles secretly with sea waters from behind Devbaug’s famous Mobar Point.
Vengurla Rock Lighthouse is about 8 km north from Vengurla port and is approached, during fair seasons only by a mechanized boat to be specially engaged from Vengurla port. The journey takes more than two hours. The steps have been cut in the rock for climbing up from landing point. In olden days ML Vengurla rock served the station.
The coastal region from Vengurla point to Niuti fort in north-west has several high rise rocks inside the sea. The Vengurla rock or Burnt Island consists of a group of rocks rising 20 to 50 m above sea level.
The first Light house was built in 1870 on a nearby rock, to the west of the present rock, in the sea. The lighting apparatus which was to be placed here, did not reach on time and it was necessary to exhibit the light, it was decided to use the log fire as the light source for some time. The kerosene oil lamp in a lantern with 5th order optic was subsequently placed on the tower. The light was shifted to the present location on a 9 m high square masonry tower-painted white in 1890. The double wick lamp inside a 4th order optic and lantern was installed. on this tower. The station was visited by Lighthouse Expert Alan D. Stevenson in April 1927 who suggested to provide a powerful light and a wireless system at the station.
A 20 m high cast iron circular tower and the First order optical assembly and the equipment-55 mm PV burner and accessories supplied by B.B.T., Paris was erected and installed by M/s. Chance Bros., Birmingham. The upper most portion of the cast Iron tower serves as murette of the lantern house. The work was carried out under the supervision of Mr John Oswald, Chief Inspector of Lighthouses (later Engineer in Chief). The new lighthouse was commissioned in to service on 30th April 1933.
During 1956-58 the Radio Beacon project was taken up. A power house, Transmitter room and quarters for additional staff were provided. The Marconi Radio Beacon together with gensets was installed at the station. It was commissioned in March 1960. The Radio beacon at the station was discontinued and shifted on logistic grounds to Aguada Lighthouse in 1983.
Under the programme of utilising Solar power at remote lighthouses, the change over from PV to Electrical light at Vengurla Rock was planned. Accordingly the light source has been replaced by 3 nos 230V 70W Metal halide lamps. For power supply a large Battery bank charged by adequate number of SPV modules, Inverter and genset were installed at the station in 2002. The new system was commissioned on 25th November 2002
Entrance to the fort and main watch tower
Shivaji’s temple on the fort
One of the best preserved forts of the Marathas, Sindhudurg fort has zigzag rampart with 42 bastions. Apart from the huge stones, the building material involved 2000 khandis (72,576 kg) of iron erecting the massive curtain wall and bastions. A notable feature is that the foundation stones were laid down firmly with 5 khandis (181.5 kg) of molten lead.
The Watch Tower facing the sea
Over 4000 mounds of iron were used in the casting and foundation stones were firmly laid down. Construction started on 25 November 1664. Built over a period of three years (1664–67), the sea fort is spread over 48 acres (190,000 m2) with a two-mile (3 km) long rampart, and walls that are 30 feet (9.1 m) high and 12 feet (3.7 m) thick. The massive walls were designed to serve as a deterrent to approaching enemies and to the waves and tides of the Arabian Sea. The main entrance is concealed in such a way that no one can pinpoint it from outside.
At a time when Samudra Gaman (travelling by sea) was banned by scriptures, this construction on an island represents the revolutionary mindset of its engineer
The number of permanent residents staying in the fort has been in decline since the fort’s abandonment. Most of the residents moved out because of inadequate employment opportunities, but over 15 families remain in the fort. The Sakpal Naik family (the original ‘killedars’) still resides in one of the 16 houses in the fort. However, Dr Sarang Kulkarni’s underwater discoveries have led to the establishment of the Indian sub-continent’s only well-established scuba-diving industry. This has provided the local residents with some employment. Sindhudurg fort is a popular summer destination for Indian and foreign tourists to explore the island and go scuba-diving and snorkelling to view the coral reef on the outskirts of the island.
Sindhudurg town lies in the Sindudurg district to the north of Goa, about 490 km south of Mumbai (Bombay). Sindhudurg can be reached either by train or by bus from Bombay, Goa and Mangalore. The Konkan railway has a railway station at Sindhudurg, but only few trains stop there. Kudal, Kanakvali and Sawantwadi are major railway stations in Sindhudurg district. There are Maharashtra state government (MSRTC) buses running from Mumbai, Pune, Ratnagiri, Sangli, Kolhapur and Goa state government buses (Kadamba Transport Corporation) running from Panaji, Madgaon, Vasco and Pernem to Sindhudurg. Nearest airport is Dabholim (Goa) airport, which is located at approx. 90 Km away from Sawantwadi City (major tourist attraction) of Sindhudurg.
Detail of Sindhudurg fort wall
West side of fort showing a small beach and a door in the wall for beach access
About the families staying in the fort
Soldiers during the reign of Shivaji were known as Mavlas, and the families in the fort are called Mavlas because they are the soldiers’ descendants. Their main occupations are farming, fishing and guiding tourists around the fort. Of the 15 families, the two Muslim families have the responsibility of playing the drum (nagara) at the evening prayer time. Shivaji treated all religions equally, and did not allow anyone else to sound the drum, and this practice has been followed through the centuries. The houses are very much the same as when they were built: the occupants can renovate the interiors, but are not allowed to change the exteriors, and they cannot sell their houses. As there are no hospitals, no shops, no facilities, life is difficult on the fort. The only mode of transport is by water, which has its own risks.
Attractions at the fort
There are three sweet water reservoirs in the fort ramparts. Even if the water in the nearby villages dries up in summer, these wells always contain water.
There is a coconut tree which has a branch and also gives fruit. (No other coconut tree has a branch.) The tree was struck by lightning a couple of years ago.
There is a hidden passage (that starts in a temple that looks like a water reservoir) that goes under the island for 3 km, under the sea for 12 km, and from there 12 km to a nearby village. The tunnel was used as an escape route for the women if the enemy entered the fort. However, the British partially closed this passage after the fort was abandoned.
The entrance gate is almost invisible, and only regular visitors are likely to find it.
A handprint and a footprint of Shivaji Maharaj is also embedded in one section of the fort. There is also Atmeshwar Mandir, a famous Shivling, and is beautiful place for adhyatmik sadhana (spiritual activities).
There is the only temple of Shivaji Maharaj in the world; the temple was built by Shivaji’s son Rajaram. Festivities such as Shivaji Jayanti (birthday of Shivaji), Ram Navami, Janmashtami, Mahashivrathri, Ganesh Chaturthi, are celebrated.
Daily puja (worship)and maintenance is done by mainly two families that were assigned this job since the fort was built; one of them is Shriram Sakpal.
Along with the navy, Shivaji maharaj also realized the importance of a sea fort. One of the sea fort that he built was this Sindhudurga Fort at Malvan.
Jay Ganesh Temple:
A malvani man, Mr Jayant Salgaonkar built this huge & stunning temple in 2004 as sanctity. It sits amidst of Medha, a small ward of Malvan. Now days, this temple is a great attraction for the Tourists. The sanctum internally a square & externally crowned with a graceful tower. A golden idol Ganesh is worshiped daily. A huge courtyard provides a serenity & invigorate the tourist. A carving sculptures on temple enchanting the viewer.
The Rock garden is situated near the Arase Mahal and on the Rocky Shore of Malvan.This beautifully maintained garden is just close to the sea overlooking the Chivla beach with colorful decorative flowers and trees.